Anything new brings a lot of excitement, curiosity, fear, risks, and a different kind of joy along. That time, we become overwhelmed, act hurriedly and often spoil everything. Same can happen with ‘aspiring’ yogis. One needs to be calm and act wisely when it comes to Yoga. Being a newbie, there is a lot to take care of when on the verge of stepping into the Yogic world. Amidst manifold challenging and intense physical yoga poses, one needs to be very selective about postures that can give a great start.
There are certain yoga poses for beginners that can help in making the yoga journey smooth and easy, if practiced regularly. These yoga poses can start you off on the right path by making your body comfortable and preparing your mind.
Here is the list of 6 best postures in yoga for beginners that surely help in going far in the wonderful journey of Yoga:
1. Tadasana or The Mountain Pose: This pose is the base for all standing yoga asanas. It teaches you how to ground into your feet and stand firmly on the earth with amazing steadiness and stability like a mountain.
Steps: Stand with the feet together and heels slightly apart. Leave your arms beside the torso. Press your feet on the fingers with toes and fingers spread widely. Balance the whole body weight on the feet. Lift the ankles, firm your thigh muscles and pull them inwards. Exhale and stretch your torso. Keep the shoulder blades away from the head. Elongate the neck and broaden the collarbones. Align the ears, shoulders, hips, and ankles. Breathe deeply.
2. Vrikshasana or the Tree Pose: This yoga pose improves the balance and strengthens the legs and the back. It provides a sense of grounding.
Steps: Start with keeping the feet together. Put the right foot on top of the left thigh. Join the palms in a prayer position. Look straight at a steady point. Hold the posture for 8-10 breaths and repeat the same with the other side.Ensure that the spine is erect. Exhale slowly and release. Repeat the same with the other leg.
3. Adho Mukho Svanasana or The Downward Facing Dog Pose: The pose lengthens the spine and the chest and stretches hamstrings. It promotes blood circulation within the body and leaves you feeling refreshed and energized.
Steps: Sit on the heels. Stretch the arms in the forward direction. Form a table shape, turn the head down and raise the hips. Press the heels down on the floor. Take the hands forward to get the maximum stretch. Keep the knees slightly bent and straighten the legs. Press the palms tightly on the floor and use the legs to move your torso back and forward. Hold the posture for 5-8 breaths.
4. Trikonasana or The Triangle Pose: The pose mobilizes the hips, stretches the sides of the waist, legs, and torso. It opens up the lungs by promoting deep breathing and leaves you with enlivening effects. It tones the entire body.
Steps: Stand with feet apart with one leg’s distance. Raise your arms to the sides to the shoulder height. Turn the right foot at 90 degrees and left foot to 45 degrees out. Keep the feet firm on the ground. Bring the right hand down to touch the right ankle and left hand up towards the ceiling. Breathe deeply and turn your gaze towards the top of the left hand. Repeat the same with the other side.
5. Utkatasana or The Chair Pose: The pose stretches and strengthens the muscles of the arms and legs. It helps build confidence and willpower and energizes the body and the mind.
Steps: Stand with feet slightly apart. Stretch the arms in the forward direction without bending the elbows. Breathe in, bend the knees and push the pelvis down forming a chair shape. Keep the spine erect and hands parallel to the ground. Stand straight with your feet slightly apart. Breathe deeply.
6. Sukhasana or The Easy Pose: It is a comfortable and relaxing position for Meditation and Pranayama. It helps improve concentration ability. The benefits of pose go beyond physical dimension and it helps awaken the spiritual side.
Steps: Sit in a comfortable and relaxed position on the mat with crossed legs. Elongate the spine and keep the hands on the kneecaps. Breathe slowly and relax the entire body.
So, initiate your yoga practice with these easy yet powerful yoga poses for beginners and reap the wonderful benefits yoga offers.