Yoga at every step pushes you towards a better life and each yoga asana consists of the essence that contributes towards a better living. Karnapidasana or the knee to ear pose is one such pose that is designed to make a person avail many greater health benefits. An advanced inversion pose, Karnapidasana is also known as the pressure pose and to get perfection in the pose, one must master the preceding asana- Halasana.
Key Benefits Of Knee To Ear Pose
- Stimulates Thyroid Gland and Nervous System
Practicing this asana creates a pressure on the thyroid-stimulating hormone (thyrotropin or thyrotropic hormone) that triggers the thyroid gland and produces triiodothyronine and thyroxine that stimulate the metabolism of every tissue. The asana also stimulates the nervous system and results in regulating the functioning of the unconscious body actions and also stimulates the flight-or-fight response of the body.
- Improves Digestion
Digestive health is important to maintain an overall well being of the body. Practicing knee-to-ear asana stimulates digestive secretion that result in the elimination of toxins, reduce weight, bring mental clarity, regulates bowel movement, improve absorption of nutrients, elevates mood, boost immunity, and the asana also stimulates gallbladder that also support healthy functioning of the digestive system.
- Stretches, Tones, and Strengthens the Body
The asana gives a good stretch to the overall body, tones it, and makes it strong, especially the shoulders, neck, lower back, buttocks, hips, and thighs. This helps in increasing the muscle flexibility, increases the joint range of motion, reduces the risk of injury, relieves body aches, and muscle soreness, helps in reducing weight, and benefits the heart health.
- Calms the Mind
Stress is one of the biggest root causes of many other body and mental issues. Practicing the asana quiets the mind, reduces stress, anxiety, and fatigue, treats insomnia, controls hypertension, prevents worries and fears, awakens the inner strength, treats headaches, and builds confidence.
- Good for Sexual and Reproductive Health
The asana benefits the overall body and also provides many sexual and reproductive health benefits to both men and women. The asana improves fertility, is great for pelvic health, enhances the sexual power, cures impotency, reduces the symptoms of menopause, regulates the menstrual cycle, and stimulates abdominal organs.
- For Healthy Spine
The pose is one of the best asanas for maintaining the spinal health. Perform the pose to avail many important movements of the spine where flexion of the spine is the most impactful. This movement helps the spine to arch downward and towards the front, resulting in giving it a deep stretch and strengthening it.
- Energises the Overall Body
The asana is great when it comes to boosting the body’s energy. When our body gets filled with energy, we automatically start feeling active, and this enhances our daily productivity. It reduces the fatigue, fights brain fog, removes the energy blockages, adjusts the energy flow of the endocrine system, and results in bringing harmony and balance into the body.
Steps to practice Karnapidasana
- The asana is an advanced Plow Pose (Halasana), so you need to begin with being in the Halasana.
- Now start bending your knee and bring them closer to the ears.
- Let them touch the floor ensuring that they are placed on each side of the head respectively.
- The position gives a slight bend to your neck and at the same time, puts a slight pressure on the ears with the knees.
- Let your feet rest on the floor with the heels facing upwards and toes touching the floor.
- Hold the pose for as long as you can.
Precautions and Contradictions
- Avoid practicing the pose during menstruation, menopause, pregnancy, and loose bowel syndrome.
- People with a slipped disc, neck injury, and sciatica should not practice.
- Asthma and hypertension people can practice this pose with the support of props.