Kapalbhati is a term derived from a Sanskrit word, Kapal, which means skull and Bhati, which means to shine. It is a simple exercise and needs minimal efforts to accomplish. It involves fast and short inhalation and exhalation to flush out the toxic air from the body and mind. Kapalbhati can help in bringing balance and depth to your overall well-being. It believes in cleansing the internal organ and energizing the nervous system.
India is the birthplace of the ancient breathing technique called pranayama which is now being practiced worldwide. Pranayama, being one of the eight limbs of yoga, helps in regulating the vital forces of the body and helps in purification of the skull. It is a yogic intense breathing technique which is also considered as “shat kriya” or internal purification practice which increases oxygen supply in the body and helps promote clarity of mind. This method needs minimal efforts and comes with some incredible mental and physical health benefits. There are three different types of Kapalbhati pranayama each has different effects on the mind and body.
Learning yogic breath control exercise is one of the essential parts of developing your yoga practice, and there is no better technique than Kapalbhati which will completely detoxify and prevent the entry of harmful toxins into the body.
How to do:
To continue with this exercise, make sure you do it on an empty stomach. Sit with your spine straight and your legs crossed. Place your palm on your knees and ensure they are facing upward. Inhale deeply with both the nostrils, filling both the lungs with air. As you exhale, pull your stomach inward and relax while the breath flow into your lungs automatically. Inhale and exhale in the same manner for 10 to 20 times. Rest after you complete one round by sitting silently and observing your bodily sensations.
Regular practice of this exercise will completely detoxify your mind and will purify your skull.
10 Health Benefits of Kapalbhati Pranayama
- Here are some physical and mental health benefits of Kapalbhati Pranayama. Scroll down to know more. 1Practicing Kapalbhati Pranayama daily for 10-15 minutes can rejuvenate cells which improve blood circulation in the body. The process purifies the skull, relaxes face muscles, and reduces wrinkles.
- The daily practice also helps in relieving stress, tension, and anxiety. It improves the supply of oxygen in your brain and purifies your skull, which helps to reduce stress. So, practice it for 10-15 minutes for physical relaxation and emotional calmness.
- It helps in treating the period problem in women. Many women suffer from improper period problems, which lead to various health issues. To solve this problem, practice for 10-15 minutes to cure this problem naturally without any cost.
- Kapalbhati pranayama helps in losing weight. The best yoga for weight loss without any doubt would be Kapalbhati. Yes, this is the best way to reduce weight and is completely natural. While performing this exercise, one will feel a little bit of pressure on their abdominal area, which leads a person to a better physical state.
- It helps in improving blood circulation. A decrease in blood pressure can lead to various health problems. So, it improves blood circulation in your body by purifying your blood and keeps it healthy
- Kapalbhati helps in improving the function of kidney. The regular practice of the breathing exercise enhances the power of the kidney as well as it cures kidney problem. Daily practice of this exercise on an empty stomach, for 10 – 15 minutes will improve the power of the kidney.
- It helps in the sinus, hair loss, and asthma. This pranayama can surely help in solving all the breath related problems. It is the slow and soothing process which involves deep breaths, which help the asthmatic problem and help you gain control over it. This exercise makes the roots stronger by increasing the blood flow in the skull area. It relaxes your body by releasing stress and pain from your mind, which leads to a stronger immune system.
- Kapalbhati Pranayama helps in curing constipation and acidity. It is a beneficial exercise, which will reduce constipation symptoms. Daily practice of this exercise for 10 to 15 minute will help your body in purification, which will lead to a cure for stomach acid problems and acid reflux.
- There are so many reasons for insomnia, and most of them are related to the mind. But daily practice of this exercise will help in curing insomnia and improves sleep quality. It calms the mind, stimulates the nervous system, and removes all the toxins from your body and gives positive energy to the whole body. No need for medicines as this exercise cures insomnia naturally.
- Daily practice of Kapalbhati for 8 to 10 minutes can cure lungs problems. Nowadays, 10 out of every 100 people suffer from various kinds of lungs problem, and there are so many reasons behind it. Weak lungs can be a risk for your life. But this exercise will help you in solving all your lungs related problems as it will strengthen your lungs and increase their capacity.
Kapalbhati Pranayama has a lot more benefits to offer when all it takes you to sit in a place and breathe, and in a slow voice, say to yourself – Life is good.