Ashtanga Yoga, the classical yoga style emphasizes on the breath, focus (drishti), and locks (bandhas) in a magical manner combined to bring out mental awareness and union in the body, mind, and spirit. The revered yoga form–Ashtanga, is the foremost moving meditation and the breathing practice geared towards making the practitioners strong, flexible, and spiritual.
With its challenging six series consisting of standing, seated, and twisting yoga postures, Ashtanga Yoga has the knack of making the practitioners aware of their weak areas and making them work towards the goal of union of the Self.
This piece of writing is designated towards unfolding the science of Marichyasana, an Ashtanga yoga pose. Traditionally practiced towards the end of Ashtanga Yoga series, Marichyasana beams the practitioner’s life with health, calmness, and richness living true to its meaning. Marichi means ‘a ray of light.’
Let’s take a closer look at how to do Marichyasana I:
1. Start the Marichyasana I in Staff Pose.
3. Keep the left leg extended with left foot flexed.
4. Rotate the right arm over the right thigh and place the palm behind the back
5. Reach back with the left arm and make a contact with the right hand. Try to grab the right wrist.
6. Use the Uddiyana Bandha (abdominal lock) and straighten the torso.
7. Hinge forward from the hips with the torso folded over the right leg.
8. Gaze towards your nose or toes. Hold this pose for 30 seconds.
Master this Ashtanga yoga pose with devotion, commitment, and patience for realizing the benefits of Marichyasana in its full power and glory. Here is the list of top eight health rewards of Sage Marichi’s Pose:
1. Restores the digestive power: The forward fold massages the digestive tract curing indigestion, constipation, and acidity. The elimination of these stomach problems coupled with yogic diet and yogic routine helps in restoration of the digestive power essential for proper absorption and assimilation of food for energy.
2. Opens the Hips and Shoulders: The surrounding negativity and stress get stored in the hips and shoulders that is one of the reasons for sore hips and shoulders. Marichyasana is an excellent body opener pose that releases tightness from the shoulders and hips.
3. Lengthens the Spine: While being seated in the Sage Marichi’s pose, strengthen the spine and back. The stance of this pose stretches the spine making it strong and flexible. A healthy spinal column is crucial for the overall well-being of the back health and posture.
4. Frees the Breathing Passage: The Marichyasana is effective in unlocking the breathing passage within the body. When the airways are opened that are free from inflammation and excess mucus, they contribute towards efficient working of the lungs. Proper working lungs circulate more oxygen– the food for the human body to survive.
5. Relieves Fatigue: Feeling low on energy levels? Get into the Marichyasana for vitality and rejuvenation. The Marichyasana stretches the muscles, stimulates the internal organs, opens the tensed area thus leaving the practitioner energized and cheerful.
6. Eases Menstrual Pain: The Sage Marichi’s pose is regarded to ease the menstrual discomfort and pain. The pose enhances the blood flow to the pelvic region and strengthens the womb comforting the females from menstrual pain and allowing the mother to carry their child safely at the time of pregnancy.
7. Strengthens the Manipura Chakra: The Manipura chakra is associated with the qualities of self-confidence, clarity, knowledge, and bliss. The practice of Marichyasana is the best for activating the Manipura chakra and experiencing its power bestowing balance, strength, and decisiveness.
8. A Natural Cure for Sciatica: The Marichyasana is the natural and safe treatment for sciatica pain. The regular performance of the pose holistically heals the problem of sciatica affecting numerous individuals.
Respect your body limitations while performing this pose– follow the above steps to garner the health benefits of Marichyasana.