A very effective Yoga pose for health, Pawanmuktasana is a primary level Yoga exercise. The term, Pawanmuktasana is made of three Sanskrit words – ‘Pawan’, meaning air or gas, ‘Mukta’, meaning releasing, and ‘Asana’, meaning pose. Because of the asana’s primary role of letting out harmful gas from the body, it is known as the gas-releasing pose. A number of people, who are facing the problem of poor digestion and improper body fitness, perform this asana. The reclining pose is among the top practiced Yoga exercises in India, thanks to its enormous positive impact on the health and wellness of the body and mind.
How to practice Pawanmuktasana?
1. To begin with, lie on the Yoga mat in Savasana with all the body parts freed up and relaxed.
2. Enjoy a couple of deep breathes (inhaling and exhaling) in the position before beginning movement in the body.
3. Bend your knees and bring them towards the chest by pressing the lower legs with the help of your hands near the abdomen.
4. Keep your shoulder on the mat and eyes focusing on the knees.
5. Hold yourself in this position for a few minutes to pave way for the digestive gas to release.
6. To make this practice a bit advanced, bring your face forward to touch your forehead to the knees.
7. You might move your neck to and fro for toning your shoulders and neck.
Health benefits of Pawanmuktasana
Although the practice of Pawanmuktasana is quite easy to perform, it is loaded with many beautiful benefits for the holistic development of the mind, body and soul. Have a look at some of the most amazing benefits of the Wind releasing pose:
1. Strengthens the abdomen: The Gas release pose is a great way to tone the abdomen muscles and get a strong belly. During the performance of Pawanmuktasana, the abdominal region is pressed by the thighs toning it in an awesome way. This way, fats and toxins present in the region also get removed paving way for a flat belly. Digestive organs such as stomach, pancreas, intestines, etc. are nourished for boosting their abilities.
2. Boosts blood circulation: Proper blood circulation is one of the most important aspects of good health. The red liquid is the only way to transport important materials from one part of the body to another. Notwithstanding the fact that Pawanmuktasana is more or less a stationary Yoga exercise, it sponsors a better circulation of blood within the human body. The pose also makes sure that the brain gets enough amount of blood for a better course of action.
3. Betters digestive process: Pawanmuktasana is all about improving the process of digestion in the body. The asana is related to all the digestive parts of the body and helps the digestive organs work properly. While you indulge in the position, impure gas accumulated and trapped in the digestive system gets released in an easy fashion. Smooth digestion is a sign of good health. A number of digestive problems such as stomach cramps, bloating, etc. also get treated by the uniform practice of this pose.
4. Tones thighs and arm muscles: Arms and thighs experience enormous impact of the Gas release pose. The exercise is good for both stability and stamina of human legs and hands. While holding the body in Pawanmuktasana, energy gets stored in the muscles and when you release the pose, the potential energy escalates through the body parts. Muscles of the arms experience a good amount of strain while practicing the pose, along with nourishing the shoulders, knees, hips, bones, etc.
5. Relieves Neck and Back Pain: Gain a much-needed relief from the problem of neck pain with the practice of Pawanmuktasana. While you stretch your forehead towards the knees, your neck plays an important role in balancing the body. At the same time, the spine comes into action to provide stability to the body. All kinds of problems related to the upper body can be cured by embracing the beauty of this Yoga asana daily. If you are not able to bring your chin towards the knees because of an ache, do not push too much. Improve slowly and steadily.
6. Sponsors mental calmness: Mental peace and calmness are in the core of Yoga. Yoga is known to sponsor tranquility to the brain and other parts of the body. Talking about the practice of Pawanmuktasana, it helps each and every part of the body including the brain to stay stable and active. Activeness in the mind comes with a number of positive factors that aid in the proper development of one’s decision-making abilities. After performing this asana for approx 5 minutes in the morning, one’s brain remains calm throughout the day.
Enjoy the health benefits of Gas release pose while indulging into the beautiful Yoga exercise of Pawanmuktasana. Begin like a beginner and gradually focus on improvement without pushing too much.