Amidst the stressful lifestyle, prolonged working hours, daily hue and cry, family pressure, relationships, emotional demands, and so much more, we have lost touch with ourselves and the beautiful nature surrounding us. To exist in harmony with oneself and the environment is the longing of many people that seems to be a distant dream now in this modern time. But Yoga in daily life in this respect offers holistic aid to help oneself.
Yoga is a science of healthy and systematic living that integrates all areas of life and offers invaluable benefits for each aspect of living. It is a comprehensive practice that aims to balance the three cores of life: the body, mind, and the soul. At the core, the art of yoga helps the practitioners to surpass the ego and help attain enlightenment.
The Bhagavad Gita says, “The person is said to have achieved yoga, the union with the self, when the perfectly disciplined mind gets freedom from all the desires and becomes absorbed in the self alone.” And, the physical yoga postures, meditation practices, and pranayama techniques together help an individual attain a still mind, healthy body and balanced spirit.
Here is a list of 10 most phenomenal reasons that state the importance of yoga in our daily life. Read on to learn more:
1. Heightens the Parasympathetic Nervous System: Leading a modern life brings along the various ordeals like stress, tension, etc., that trigger the sympathetic nervous system and give rise to multiple diseases such as high blood pressure, poor heart health, irregular sleep patterns, and so much more. Yoga is a powerful solution that brings about incredible changes in the body’s sympathetic nervous system and stimulates the parasympathetic nervous system. The rest-to-digest response heals and restores the body balance.
2. Gives a Boost To Brain Chemicals: A regular practice of the science of yoga increases the production of good brain chemicals like GABA, serotonin, dopamine, etc., that promotes a feeling of relaxation, contentedness, and happiness.
3. Enhances Immune System: Excessive production of pesky hormones like cortisol, epinephrine, etc., dampens the effectiveness of the immune system by immobilizing the white blood cells and ultimately results in a tarnished physical health. Yoga is found effective in decreasing the production of cortisol and other harmful chemicals within the body while removing the barrier to effective immune function and granting robust health and well-being.
4. Improves Overall Well-Being: A committed practice of diverse yoga postures with correct alignment strengthens, purifies, and balances the endocrine, digestive, and circulatory system. The practice of inversion increases the blood flow, glucose to head, which in turn increases the development of certain neurotransmitters. The restorative yoga postures release the built-up tensions in the body, etc., thereby enhancing one’s mood and state of wellness.
5. Elevates the Mood: Our Breathing is directly affected by our mood. When we experience negative emotions, our breathing becomes shallow, and when the mind is calm the breathing is deep and relaxed. Yogic breathing techniques are a perfect remedy to retain the breath when we feel our breathing patterns shifting. Relaxed breaths reset the nervous system, emotions, and help us return to a more rhythmic state.
6. Quiets The Mind: The Bhagavad Gita quotes, ‘The mind act as an enemy for those who do not control it.’ Therefore, quieten and control your monkey mind through meditation practices. A peaceful, gentle practice that subsides the distracting thoughts, fosters feelings of relaxation, calmness, makes our mind feel fresh, spacious, and helps us embrace the beautiful life.
7. Helps find Inner Peace: ‘Your inner peace is the greatest and most valuable treasure that you can discover’– Akin Olokun. Yoga helps you find your inner peace and connects you with your heart where the true gems of knowledge and eternal repose lie. Inner peace ultimately shines as outer happiness, health, and fortune.
8. Greater Awareness: The mind often swings from the past miseries to future events and hardly stays in the present moment. The practice of yoga brings greater awareness to the mankind and helps people focus on the present moment. When we live in the current time, we feel more cheerful and focused.
9. Intensifies Energy: Shuttling through the endless chores and multitasking to maintain the work-life balance can be quite exhausting. Spare a few minutes to take up a yoga practice that provides the necessary fillip that recharges the energy and make us feel fresh and strong.
10. Improves Sixth Sense: Yoga practices effectively improve intuition by diminishing ego and making people sensitive towards their surroundings. An improvement in intuitive abilities allows a person to act with a diligent mind which yields positive results.
Yoga is an invaluable gift of India’s tradition that guides us on the path of joy, harmony, and health. Practice with a firm determination to realize the importance of yoga in daily life.