Taking the first step towards a transformation is not easy. It does not happen overnight. There is so much to consider before we actually set out to try something new. Apprehension, doubt, endless questions and what not spring to mind at the thought to picking up something new.
Similar is the situation faced by several individuals who desire to take the first step towards the science of yoga. They are inquisitive to know what a yoga school will look like, what will be taught, how to prepare for the first yoga class, etc. In the quest to find answers, they resort to multiple options. They browse through various websites, pour through manuals to learn, and what not.
However, it is essential to gather the right data that correctly answers all the questions and can lead towards the desired path. Manipulated or false information misleads the individual.
Many of them do not have any idea on how to prepare for their first endeavor towards a healthy life and therefore,
the idea of starting the first yoga class can be a bit daunting for some of them. To help you out, we have compiled a list that tells you how to prepare for your first yoga session. Have a look at it:
1. Come well hydrated to the class: Drink plenty of water to hydrate yourself before you come for the first yoga session. Be careful about the glasses of water you intake. Do not drink water an hour before the class. It is strongly recommended not to consume caffeinated products. They dehydrate the body and also increase the heart rate.
2. Watch what you ingest: It is best not to practice yoga on a full stomach. On the other side, it is equally unhealthy to practice on an empty stomach. Eat light and healthy food before coming to the class so that you don’t feel light -headed during the class. Do not consume anything at least two hours before the class.
3. Come Fully Prepared to the class: Check out the list of the essentials you need during the yoga practice like yoga mat, yoga props such as straps, blocks etc., a water bottle with filtered water, and a clean towel. If you feel the need, you can also bring an extra layer of clothing to change after the practice. Make sure you carry everything needed for your first ever yoga class.
4. Ideal yoga clothes: This is one question that everyone asks before rolling out their yoga mat. The idea is to feel comfortable in whatever you are wearing. The ideal yoga clothes include loose, comfortable attire that won’t restrict your movements. Yoga pants and t-shirts can be worn for the practice.
5. Arrive early to the class: Arrive 10-15 minutes early for your first yoga session. This is so you can prepare yourself for the session like getting your yoga props ready, changing clothes if required, etc. Else, you will miss out on your class. Additionally, it is disruptive for the class to have a student walk in late.
6. Yoga Etiquette: There are certain points to be kept in mind every time you begin to start your yoga practice. Do not bring your mobile phone to the class. This is the time to unplug from technology and the outer world and, to completely focus on your practice. Take off your shoes and socks, roll out your yoga mat and be ready for the class beforehand. If you wish to communicate with the teacher or any of the student then do so before the session begins or soon after it.
7. Yoga Traditions: Begin your yoga class by sitting on the yoga mat with crossed legs and chanting the sound ‘OM’. It is a Sanskrit word whose sound brings sacredness to the practice. End your class by saying the word ‘Namaste’ with folded hands in front of the chest and head bowed down. It represents, ‘I bow to the divine you!’
The above points will surely guide your way. Enjoy a great yoga session!