5 Health Benefits of Anahatasana (Heart Melting Pose)
Anahatasana is a term derived from the Sanskrit word, ‘Anahata’ meaning heart and ‘Asana’ meaning pose. The heart is one of the most important organs in an individual’s body because it circulates the blood and provides the body with oxygen and nutrition. There are various Health benefits of Anahatasana, it nourishes the heart chakra, which further energizes the whole body. It strengthens the chest and gives a soothing effect on the heart chakra as it connects with emotions and feelings. Daily practice of this pose can help release some of the blocked emotions, and we can feel free of the burdens of the heart in no time.
Steps to do Anahatasana
- Start with Vajrasana or the kneeling pose by resting your hand on the thighs.
- As you exhale, bend forward by touching the head on the ground.
- Move your hands on the floor in front of you, with your palms facing downward and touching the floor.
- Raise the hips above the knees by slightly pushing them upward while keeping your spine straight.
- Don’t let your elbows and stomach touch the ground.
- Let the forehead be in touch with the ground as you relax your neck.
- Hold for at least 1 minute, then release while coming back to the kneeling position.
- People with injuries in the hip or knee should avoid this asana.
- Those with extreme stiffness in the arms and shoulders should not practice this asana.
- Women who are quite a few months into their pregnancy (6-7 months) should avoid Anahatasana.
- Those suffering from back ache should always make it a point to practice this asana under the guidance of experienced teachers or yoga gurus.
Health Benefits Of Anahatasana
The Health benefits of heart melting pose are many but here we will discuss about the 5 most important benefits.
- Stress and Anxiety – Stress and anxiety are the major issues which may lead to serious health problems. Movements of the different body parts while breathing deeply, help in soothing the muscles around the entire back and shoulder, which further allows your mind and body to relax by releasing the stress. The rest of the forehead on the floor clears all the negative thoughts by calming the mind. Include this exercise in your routine daily, as to open the passage to the heart chakra by removing all the toxins from the body, which creates a sense of well-being in the mind.
- Improves the Blood Circulation – Blood circulation is the most important function of the body as it supplies oxygen to the brain and other organs. The daily practice of this exercise opens up the heart chakra that increases the breathing flow in the entire body, which further revitalizes all the blood cells by improving the blood circulation in the body. The asana also promotes healthier skin and helps in cell growth.
- Stretches the spine and shoulders – Anahatasana helps in stretching and strengthening the shoulders and the spine. It helps to open up the shoulders by improving the roundness in them for better posture while preventing shoulder injuries. The daily practice can stretch and strengthen the spine because the spinal cord is the key organ for running the nervous system as it sends signals, which allow a different segment of the body to communicate with the brain.
- It stretches the hips and hamstrings – Flexible and strong hamstrings are the key to healthy living as it keeps your knees, hips, and legs healthy. This Yoga helps in stretching and strengthening of the hamstrings, which are essential to not only prevent injury but also improving the speed.
- Energize the Anahata – Anahatasana expands the chest by opening the heart chakra filled with emotions and feelings. This yoga can help you release your sealed emotions or feelings, and you can feel free of the burden. An imbalanced heart chakra directly affects the physical and mental state of the body, so when the Anahata chakra is healthy, you feel encircled by love, joy and compassion.
Make Anahatasana a habit, take some time out to open up your Anahata chakra to maintain a steady energy flow throughout the body, which leads you to live a more peaceful and positive life.