Learn about the effective method of yoga for treating high bp through this blog. Get an insight into yoga poses for high blood pressure and its benefits.
Who hasn’t heard of the far-spreading glory of yoga with respect to a good spinal health, effective weight loss remedy, strong and flexible physique, a stress-free mind, and what not? And, here is the good news for all those suffering from hypertension as this is not an exclusion to its endless list of rewards bestowed by the great ancient science. Yoga is highly beneficial in lowering the high blood pressure in people.
High Blood pressure is a common ailment in the lives of several people leading a contemporary lifestyle. And by far, Yoga is the safest solution to treat the problem of a High BP. The science of yoga consists of yoga postures, pranayama, and meditation that lowers stress levels, regulates blood flow, enhances circulation, and effectively treats the problem of hypertension.
Given below are the five excellent yoga postures for high blood pressure with detailed steps and respective benefits:
1. Easy Pose– Sukhasana: Begin in a staff pose (Dandasana): Cross your legs in front of the shins. Keep your knees wide and locate each foot under the opposite knee. Rest your palms on the knees facing in a downward direction. Relax your neck. Gaze in front and breathe slowly. Hold this posture for 60 seconds.
Benefits: A meditative yoga posture that calms the brain and body. It positively regulates the functioning of the nervous system and aids in lowering high blood pressure.
2. Dolphin Pose– Ardha Pincha Mayurasana: Begin on your fours. Make sure the wrists are directly positioned above the shoulders and knees below the hips. Firmly fold the palms together and press the forearms into the floor. Curl your toes inward and with exhalation uplift the knees off the floor. Elongate your tailbone and press it toward the pubis. Raise the sitting bones upwards. Widen your shoulder blades and hold the head between the upper arms. Hold the pose for 30-60 seconds. To release, gently bring back the knees to the ground.
Benefits: Dolphin pose is highly therapeutic for the high blood pressure. It also benefits the body and mind in a number of ways like: reduces stress, improves digestion, prevents osteoporosis, etc.
3. Bridge Pose–Bhujangasana: Lie with a straight back on the ground. Fold your knees and bring your heels close to your hips. Exhale, firm your hips and raise your tailbone towards the pubic bone. Now, raise the hips higher in an upward direction. Keep the thighs equidistant to the floor. Either keep the arms alongside the body or clasp the hands beneath the lower back. Rest the head and shoulders on the ground. Hold this pose for 30 seconds.
Benefits: An excellent yoga posture that lowers high blood pressure by calming the brain, reducing fatigue, and rejuvenating the organs.
4. Reclining Hero Pose– Supta Virasana: Kneel on the floor and spread your knees wider than your hips. Position the toes inward towards each other. Sit back halfway with your torso leaning slightly forward. Now sit comfortably between the feet. Keep your hands on the knees. (This is Hero Pose). Exhale and lean back towards the ground. Begin leaning on your arms, forearms, and elbows. Once you are on your elbows, rest the hands on the back of the pelvis and finish reclining. Lay your hands on the floor beside your torso. ( This is reclining hero pose). Stay in this posture for 30 seconds.
Benefits: A healing yoga posture for hypertension, headache, insomnia, and other ailments.
5. Cat-Cow Stretch –Marjariasana & Bitilasana: Begin in a tabletop position. Ensure your elbows and shoulders are perpendicular to the floor. Look down at the floor. Inhale, uplift the chest and hips towards the sky and draw the stomach inward. Now, lift your head up and gaze straight ahead. (Cow Pose). Exhale and come back to the tabletop position. Keeping your knees and shoulders in the position, round your spine towards the ceiling. Release your head towards the ground. (Cat Pose). Repeat the movements 15-20 times.
Benefits: It is an effective yoga posture for patients with hypertension as it does not exhaust the body and keeps the heart elevated.
Effectively treat high blood pressure with the practice of these yoga asanas for hypertension and live a disease-free life.